I finally took the time to setup the car chassis which I got from China. When I opened the package a while ago I immediately saw a bad surprise and that was the fact that I did not receive all correct pieces. The 2 blades for the chassis are identical and that should not have been the case because first blade was especially for attaching the DC motors and the second for pieces on top of the chassis. I had to use my creativity to get around that. Another point were the pieces for attaching the DC motors to the blade which were not all the correct ones. Anyway. I managed to get the chassis set up.
As a first step I wanted to get one wheel turning forward and backward using Raspberry Pi, L298N (motor controller) and DC-motor. See the result here : Raspberry Pi Controlled Car Next step is getting the second front wheel to turn but than I will have to make sure they work together to get my car driving and turning in a controlled way.
Needless to say I used Java and Pi4J to do this. I have not yet pushed the sources to github but I will as soon as I cleanup the test application.